Earthing, or grounding, is the practice of walking outside barefoot so your feet can make direct contact with the surface of the earth. This may seem different at first, but there is evidence that having your feet sink into the sand or feeling the movement of the grass beneath your toes can bring benefits such as decreased stress, inflammation and pain.
Earthing allows the exchange of positive and negative ions between our bodies and the earth. The body naturally produces free radicals (positive ions) to help combat anything unwanted inside of it, but too much of this can do more harm than good, causing excess inflammation in the body. When we connect with the earth (which holds a lot of negative ions) we actually, without knowing, transfer these ions between the ground and our bodies, reducing the number of damage-causing free radicals.
Throughout history, humans mostly walked barefoot or with footwear made of animal skins. They slept on the ground or on skins. They had contact with the earth many times a day—significantly more than we do today. We all know that the sun gives us warmth, light and vitamin D, and the earth provides us with fresh air, water, food, and a surface to live on. When your bare feet make contact with the earth’s surface, your body uptakes a natural and subtle energy. The earth produces a limitless energy supply of abundant free electrons which are electrically conductive. Our bodies, being bioelectrical in nature, are able to absorb this electrical energy that, in turn, will help balance our own internal bioelectrical environment for healthier functioning of bodily systems. Think about the last time you were barefoot with nature, and how it made you feel.
Earthing has amazing benefits. Here are some reasons you should make earthing part of your daily routine:
- Decreases inflammation, and improves or eliminates the symptoms of many inflammation-related disorders
- Reduces or eliminates chronic pain
- Improves sleep in most cases
- Increases energy
- Lowers stress and promotes calmness in the body by cooling down the nervous system and stress hormones
- Normalizes the body’s biological rhythms
- Thins blood and improves blood pressure and flow
- Relieves muscle tension and headaches
- Lessens hormonal and menstrual symptoms
- Dramatically speeds healing and helps prevent bedsores
- Reduces or eliminates jet lag
- Protects the body against potentially health-disturbing environmental electromagnetic fields (EMFs)
- Accelerates recovery from intense athletic activity
If you would like to read more about the earth’s natural healing benefits, Earthing by Orber, Sinatra and Zucker is a must-read.